Sunday, March 21, 2010

figure drawing using broader marks



I just love studying the marks of the old masters when they used red or black chalk on a prepared surface heightened with white chalk. It will take me the rest of my life I'm sure to capture the finesse of the lines, their weight, suppleness and direction. This is a 3 session (3 hours each) drawing where I used Rives BFK white paper toned with a wash of burnt umber water color and light sanguine Creta color lead and white Creta color lead. This application is perfect for a faster study. The masters were absolutely genius at these types of drawings. Their contours and lines massing in the form were so sensitive and sensuous that many artists (like me) spend many more hours studying the drawings than the time spent on the paintings for which the drawings were a study.

No comments:

Post a Comment